Displaying 1 - 10 of 1068 entries.

Korean leaders Moon and Kim meet days after NK-US summit cancellation

  • Posted on September 25, 2018 at 1:11 am

Monday, May 28, 2018

On Saturday, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un held an unannounced meeting in the Joint Security Area straddling the Korean Demilitarized Zone, two days after United States President Donald Trump withdrew from the scheduled June 12 high-level meeting in Singapore.

Moon initiated the meeting after hearing Trump had withdrawn from the proposed summit with Kim. Trump’s decision to withdraw came on Friday after increased tensions over scheduled military exercises, North Korean official Choe Son Hui referring to US Vice President Mike Pence a “political dummy” and threatened nuclear action. Since then, both Pyongyang and the White House have issued statements indicating they are willing to have a meeting of some kind regardless.

Adam Mount of the Federation of American Scientists’ Defense Posture Project referred to Trump’s response as a “temper tantrum” and applauded Moon’s “bold but risky” actions: “When Kim Jong-un was allowed to split the negotiations into separate tracks with Trump and Moon, he gained leverage over both,” Mount told the public via Tweet. “… Trump says ‘everybody plays games.’ Moon Jae-in is not playing a game: he must keep his people safe from war. Each of Trump’s whims shakes the walls of the Blue House.” The Blue House is South Korea’s presidential residence.

The meeting lasted roughly two hours. It was the second major meeting between Moon and Kim in as many months. In April, they met to discuss denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and plans for a formal peace treaty to replace the cease-fire that ended the Korean War on July 27, 1953, a measure that would require involving the US and China.

Although the White House stated their intent on withdrawing from the summit, North Korea’s state-run news agency reported Friday the two leaders are still scheduled for further “high-level talks”. North Korea explosively destroyed buildings and tunnels at the Punggye-ri Nuclear Test Site. The North Koreans invited international media observers to the demolitions, who later issued skeptical reports regarding the full extent of the demolition, according to NPR.

Korean leaders Moon and Kim meet days after NK-US summit cancellation
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

‘Invitational Games for the Deaf, Taipei 2008’: Review of soccer preliminaries

  • Posted on September 25, 2018 at 1:08 am

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A number of relatively unknown entrants made the Taiwan 2008 Invitational Games for the Deaf soccer tournament an unpredictable event. Teams from Thailand, Australia, Iran (Silver Medalist in soccer at the 2005 Summer Deaflympics), Uzbekistan, Malaysia, and Japan took part.

On September 6, soccer giants Thailand and Iran defeated Malaysia and Uzbekistan in shutouts of 11-0 and 9-0 respectively. Anothai Sathiyamat, Somsak Thongdee, Nares Numphakdee of Thailand all scored hat-tricks in the game against Uzbekistan.

On the second day of competition, a decisive battle in Group A between Japan and Iran was keenly watched by Thailand, as one of the two teams would be their opponent in the finals. The game was scoreless in the first half, with conservative tactics from both teams.

Iran’s Mostafa Heydaribondarabadi scored rapidly after the second half started, but Shun Igasaki of Japan scored a penalty kick after a foul by Iran in the penalty area and tied the score again. The penalty became the key of the match when Tetsuya Kurata scored 5 minutes further in, as the Iranian players became frustrated by the penalty kick. Finally, Japan won with a final score of 2-1, and advanced to the championship match on the final day.

After group standings were mostly stabilized in the third day of competition, Thailand and Japan handled their respective Group matches by replacing several substitutes with frequently lined-up players to defeat their opponents easily. They will face off on the final day for the gold medal of soccer event in the “Invitational Games for the Deaf, Taipei 2008”.

Group A Won Drawn Lost GD Group B Won Drawn Lost GD
Japan 2 0 0 +3 Thailand 2 0 0 +12
Iran 1 0 1 +10 Australia 0 1 1 -3
Malaysia 0 0 2 -13 Uzbekistan 0 1 1 -9

Match-play Date: September 10, 2008.
  • 5th Place Match: Malaysia vs Uzbekistan
  • Bronze Medal Match: Iran vs Australia
  • Gold Medal Match: Japan vs Thailand

‘Invitational Games for the Deaf, Taipei 2008’: Review of soccer preliminaries
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

Get Important Help From A Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer In Orange Va

  • Posted on September 24, 2018 at 1:57 am

byAlma Abell

Cyclists have the same rights as any other vehicle when it comes to being on the roads. If a cyclist becomes injured because of a negligent driver, it is the right of the injured party to seek compensation for their injuries and damages. Because injuries can be extensive after a bicycle accident, it is important injured victims seek legal help from a Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer in Orange VA.

Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents

YouTube Preview Image

There are many injuries that can occur when a person is involved in a bicycle accident. Other than a helmet and possible pads, cyclists have little protection. When a bicycle collides with another vehicle, the results can be serious injuries and even death. The following are the most common types of injuries that can occur in bicycle accidents.

  • Broken bones
  • Lacerations
  • Head and neck injuries
  • Brain injuries
  • Nerve damage
  • Paralysis
  • Internal injuries
  • Organ damage

When a cyclist is involved in a serious bicycle accident, it is imperative they seek immediate medical attention. The victim should not be moved, in case there is a spinal cord injury. Moving the victim could result in permanent damage.

Even if a person does not think they are seriously injured, it behooves them to seek medical care to ensure there are not internal injuries that need to be treated. Medical records are an integral component of proving damages in an accident claim. The Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer in Orange VA will work to obtain the medical records so they can be used in court.

Call For a Consultation

After a victim is under the care of a doctor, it is imperative they seek help from a lawyer. A consultation appointment will start the process and help the victim to learn more about their rights and the laws that govern accident claims. The state of Virginia allows injured victims two years from the date of their accident to file a claim. Waiting too long can leave a victim unable to seek further compensation.

It is important injured victims Contact us for consultation. With a consultation appointment, injured victims can get the legal help they need and start the process of pursuing fair compensation.

Interview: Danny O’Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

  • Posted on September 24, 2018 at 1:52 am

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

January’s second Interview of the Month was with Danny O’Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) on 23 January in IRC.

The EFF is coming off a series of high-profile successes in their campaigns to educate the public, press, and policy makers regarding online rights in a digital world, and defending those rights in the legislature and the courtroom. Their settlement with Sony/BMG, the amazingly confused MGM v Grokster decision by the Supreme Court of the United States, and the disturbing cases surrounding Diebold have earned the advocacy organization considerable attention.

When asked if the EFF would be interested in a live interview in IRC by Wikinews, the answer was a nearly immediate yes, but just a little after Ricardo Lobo. With two such interesting interview candidates agreeing so quickly, it was hard to say no to either so schedules were juggled to have both. By chance, the timing worked out to have the EFF interview the day before the U.S. Senate schedule hearings concerning the Broadcast flag rule of the FCC, a form of digital rights management which the recording and movie industries have been lobbying hard for – and the EFF has been lobbying hard to prevent.

Interview: Danny O’Brien of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

Dow falls 340 points amid unemployment and retail sales rates news

  • Posted on September 24, 2018 at 1:44 am

Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Dow Jones Industrial Average, a stock market index used to gauge the performance of American stock exchanges, fell 344.65 at the close of trading Thursday.

The exact reason for the drop is unknown, with different news agencies pointing to different causes. The New York Times cites a rise in unemployment numbers released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Labor and a fall in retail sales released by several large corporations.

According to the Associated Press, the number of people claiming weekly unemployment benefits rose 15,000 last week to 444,000, which, according to The New York Times is near a five-year high.

“This morning’s employment numbers continue to indicate that the labor sector remains soft at best and looks to continue to shed jobs throughout the remainder of the year,” Joseph Brusuelas, chief economist at Merk Investments, said in a statement to The New York Times.

One major corporation that posted a gain in sales was Wal-Mart, with a 3 percent boost, which resulted in a one penny loss in their stock. Fellow retailer Target posted a sales loss. Shares of energy companies ExxonMobil and Chevron fell by 1.5 and 3 percent, respectively.

The other two major American stock indices fell too. The S&P 500 fell 2.99 percent while the Nasdaq composite index fell 3.20 percent. The Dow’s 344.65-point fall left the index at 11,188.23, a 2.99 percent decrease from the close of trading Wednesday.

According to The New York Times, the drop is the largest since June of this year, but an expected announcement Friday of August unemployment data could cause the index to rise.

The New York Times and the Associated Press both report that the number of jobs in the service sector rose in August according to research done by the Institute for Supply Management. This is the first rise in the number of jobs in several months.

CNNMoney.com points to the rise in the price of Treasury bonds as a reaction to data released Wednesday that the American economy would continue to be slow in 2009.

Dow falls 340 points amid unemployment and retail sales rates news
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

British TV presenter Rico Daniels tells Wikinews about being ‘The Salvager’

  • Posted on September 24, 2018 at 1:20 am

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rico Daniels is a British TV presenter living in France who is known for his two television series — The Salvager — whilst he still lived in the UK and then Le Salvager after he moved to France. Rico has been in a variety of jobs but his passion is now his profession – he turns unwanted ‘junk’ into unusual pieces of furniture. Rico’s creations and the methods used to fabricate them are the subject of the Salvager shows.

Rico spoke to Wikinews in January about his inspiration and early life, future plans, other hobbies and more. Read on for the full exclusive interview, published for the first time:

British TV presenter Rico Daniels tells Wikinews about being ‘The Salvager’
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

Man shot on London Underground unconnected to bombing, says Scotland Yard

  • Posted on September 23, 2018 at 1:31 am

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Scotland Yard issued a statement that Jean Charles de Menezes, the 27-year-old Brazilian electrician shot to death yesterday by police in a London Underground station was “not connected” to Thursday’s bombings and called the incident “a tragedy”. A day earlier, the police commissioner said the man was “directly linked” to Thursday’s attacks.

The police statement said

“We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents of Thursday 21st July 2005. For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets.”

The man was followed when he left a flat that had been under surveillence. He did not obey instructions from police (not in uniform) as he ran onto a Tube train at the station. Eyewitnesses said he “was wearing a large coat, unusual for the time of year”, but didn’t seem to have “any guns or anything like that; I didn’t see him carrying anything. I didn’t even see a bag to be quite honest.”

Mark Whitby, apparently the closest eye witness said; “He half-tripped, was half-pushed to the floor. The policeman nearest to me had the black automatic pistol in his left hand, he held it down to the guy and unloaded five shots into him.”

The shooting is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police Service‘s Directorate of Professional Standards and the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which investigates all fatal police shootings.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke described the shooting of Mr Menezes as an “absolute tragedy” before going on to say “I hope [the family] understand the police were trying to do their very best under very difficult circumstances.”

Alex Pereira, a cousin of Mr Menezes, also living in the UK, was interviewed by the BBC and said “Apologies are not enough. I believe my cousin’s death was result of police incompetence.” He also stated that he believed his cousin had been “a victim of government’s mistakes”.

Man shot on London Underground unconnected to bombing, says Scotland Yard
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

The Onion: An interview with ‘America’s Finest News Source’

  • Posted on September 23, 2018 at 1:12 am

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Despite the hopes of many University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) students, The Onion was not named after their student center. “People always ask questions about where the name The Onion came from,” said President Sean Mills in an interview with David Shankbone, “and when I recently asked Tim Keck, who was one of the founders, he told me the name—I’ve never heard this story about ‘see you at the un-yun’—he said it was literally that his Uncle said he should call it The Onion when he saw him and Chris Johnson eating an onion sandwich. They had literally just cut up the onion and put it on bread.” According to Editorial Manager Chet Clem, their food budget was so low when they started the paper that they were down to white bread and onions.

Long before The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, Heck and Johnson envisioned a publication that would parody the news—and news reporting—when they were students at UW in 1988. Since its inception, The Onion has become a veritable news parody empire, with a print edition, a website that drew 5,000,000 unique visitors in the month of October, personal ads, a 24 hour news network, podcasts, and a recently launched world atlas called Our Dumb World. Al Gore and General Tommy Franks casually rattle off their favorite headlines (Gore’s was when The Onion reported he and Tipper were having the best sex of their lives after his 2000 Electoral College defeat). Many of their writers have gone on to wield great influence on Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert‘s news parody shows.

And we are sorry to break the news to all you amateur headline writers: your submissions do not even get read.

Below is David Shankbone’s interview with Chet Clem and Sean Mills about the news empire that has become The Onion.

Contents

  • 1 How The Onion writes an issue
  • 2 The headlines
  • 3 The features and the columnists
  • 4 The photojournalism
  • 5 What The Onion will not publish
  • 6 Reactions to Onion stories
  • 7 The Presidential Seal
  • 8 The Onion’s readership
  • 9 Future features
  • 10 Handling national tragedies
  • 11 The Onion movie and Onion News Network
  • 12 Relationship with other satirical news programs
  • 13 Unsolicited material
  • 14 Source
The Onion: An interview with ‘America’s Finest News Source’
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

Crucifix in Northern Italy collapses, crushing man to death

  • Posted on September 22, 2018 at 1:37 am

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ahead of Sunday’s scheduled canonization of Pope John Paul II, in the Italian village of Cevo, a massive stone and wood crucifix dedicated to the late pontiff collapsed, instantly crushing a man to death and landing another in the hospital. Reports variously say the collapse took place on Wednesday or Thursday.

Marco Gusmini, 21, died after part of the wood of the crucifix splintered and broke, sending it, along with the attached statue of Jesus Christ, toppling to the ground. He was reportedly posing for a photograph under the monument.

The mayor of Cevo, Silvio Citroni, termed the incident “an unexplainable tragedy. A young life, so many hopes destroyed this way”. Describing the tragedy, he elaborated, “The young people were making a snack for lunch and when they heard the crunching noises coming from the cross they fled in all directions. Unfortunately Marco ran in the wrong direction.” Citroni also said the crucifix had undergone maintenance work last summer. “This is a place for pilgrimages and family visits. We never imagined that something like this could happen.” In light of the untimely tragedy, he said, plans for any further celebrations to commemorate the late pontiff’s impending canonization have been scrapped.

Sculptor Enrico Job designed the crucifix, which stood 100 ft (30 m) tall; curved unusually to symbolize, reportedly, the scars of World War II; mounted with a 20 ft (6 m) tall statue of Jesus Christ weighing 1,320 lbs (600 kg). Commissioned to commemorate Pope John Paul II’s 1998 visit to Brescia, and reportedly originally erected at a stadium there, the crucifix was moved to its present location in nearby Cevo in 2005.

Gusmini and his parents reportedly lived on Via Papa Giovanni XXIII, a street in Lovere named after another late pontiff to be canonized alongside Pope John Paul II, Pope John XXIII. In celebration of this double canonization, Rome is expected to play host to 19 heads of state, 24 heads of government, and some 800,000 Catholic pilgrims, visiting from around the world, according to the Interior Ministry of Italy.

Crucifix in Northern Italy collapses, crushing man to death
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized

Canada’s Beaches—East York (Ward 32) city council candidates speak

  • Posted on September 21, 2018 at 1:26 am
This exclusive interview features first-hand journalism by a Wikinews reporter. See the collaboration page for more details.

Friday, November 3, 2006

On November 13, Torontonians will be heading to the polls to vote for their ward’s councillor and for mayor. Among Toronto’s ridings is Beaches—East York (Ward 32). Four candidates responded to Wikinews’ requests for an interview. This ward’s candidates include Donna Braniff, Alan Burke, Sandra Bussin (incumbent), William Gallos, John Greer, John Lewis, Erica Maier, Luca Mele, and Matt Williams.

For more information on the election, read Toronto municipal election, 2006.

Contents

  • 1 Sandra Bussin (incumbent)
  • 2 William Gallos
  • 3 Erica Maier
  • 4 Luca Mele
Canada’s Beaches—East York (Ward 32) city council candidates speak
»

  • Filed under:
    • Uncategorized